Bases of smooth shading (gradient shading).
In this section you will use a pencil 2B to draw very simple gradient, drawing thus strokes of different length either far apart, or is close. Gradient creation of a shadow — is transition from dark to light or from light to dark. Shading means lines which are drawn closely to each other to create illusion of a shadow. Zateneniye means various shades by means of which drawing is given a three-dimensional look.
1. Before starting drawing, give some minutes to find the natural movements of hands. To make some parallel lines. In the course of drawing, pay attention how to make these lines. Try different options of movement of your pencil, turn paper or change a corner of your lines, do it, will not find yet situation and the movements which will be convenient for you.
2. Draw the first set of lines at which shading occupies slightly more than a half of your leaf across. On the left side of paper, slightly press your pencil 2B to draw light lines far apart and in small quantity. Closer to the middle to become less small lines, it is more long and they are a little closer to each other. Using lines when shading different length, you can make imperceptible transition from a shadow from one intensity to a shadow with other intensity.
3. Draw more lines more darkly and closer to each other until you reach the end of paper (across). Add some more short lines between your separate lines, if transition between tones not really smooth.
4. Draw still lines more closely to each other, up to the end until the end result becomes dark. Start doing your lines closer to each other from 2/3 parts of a leaf. Pay attention that lines of which dark sites consist, it is very close to each other and paper it is visible very badly, but it is still visible.
Before to begin this part of a lesson, draw lines with each pencil and look, than they differ. 2H is the lightest (firm), and 6B the pencil — the most dark (soft). 2H is ideally suited for creation of light tones, HB and 2B well is suitable for average tones, 4B and 6B — for creation of dark shades. You will use them for smooth transition, also pressing a pencil too changes color.
5. On the left side of paper, slightly pressing a pencil 2H, draw light lines. As will move ahead closer to the middle, do your lines closer to each other and press slightly one pencil more. Take NV and/or 2B a pencil to reach average tone of shading in your work. Continue to make your tone more dark in process of movement to the right.
6. By means of a pencil(s) of HB and/or 2B do dark shading almost until the end of your leaf.
7. By means of pencils 4B and 6B draw the most dark of tone. Be convinced that your pencils are sharpened. Draw lines closely to each other. 6B will create very dark shade. If you noticed that transition between your tones sharp, you can make it more smoothly, for this purpose add some more short lines between your lines.
Look at smooth transition between tones in drawing below. Separate lines are hardly noticeable because they very close are to each other. Here spreading though it looks almost like continuous gradient was not used. The patience and is a lot of practice and you will be able to make so in a consequence. Try!
8. Use curves to draw transition of 10 different tones from light to dark, drawing shows texture of hair. The author divided a leaf on width into 10 parts that you understood how tone at which everyone following more darkly than the previous changes. Curves are drawn by letters C and U. When drawing hair at the person and wool at animals curved lines of shading have to repeat a contour of a shape of the head, body.
9. In practice use more different tones, drawing from light to the dark. Your pencils play an important role in shading creation. Beginners can use three or four pencils. Most often the author uses 2H, HB, 2B, 4B and 6B pencils. With a totality of pencils from 6H-8B, the potential range of tones which can be made is infinite.
Author: Brenda Hoddinot, site (source)