When you are able to do shading well, you will find out that it is very fast and easy way to achieve realness in drawings.
This lesson shares on three sections:
1. Shading studying.
2. Drawing of main types of shading.
3. Creation of a scale of shadows.
Take pencils to put a lesson into practice. Pencils, an eraser and paper will be necessary for us for drawing 2H, HB, 2B, 4B and 6B.
This article is recommended for artists of all age and various preparation.
Studying of intensity of shading.
It will be more convenient to you if know how to draw various shades. Various shades when shading are created by change of density of the put lines, pressing a pencil, use of different types of pencils. Shades can pass from light to dark or from dark to the light.
Drawing of shading of different shades demands a lot of practice, only then you will achieve perfection.
1) Slanting shading, look at four options of shading. Group of lines which are at the left, have very few lines and are far apart that creates illusion of light tone. In the subsequent examples, lines become closer also tone thus to become is more dark, the most extreme — the most dark.
2) Try drawing of parallel lines with any distance from each other in the album. You have to try many different ways of the movement of your pencil, overturn paper or change corners of your lines, will not find yet a pose (movements) which will be most natural to you.
Drawing of main types of shading.
In it exercise take a pencil 2B, you will draw lines far apart, then is closer to create 4 different options of shading.
3) Draw the first set of lines of shading with long distance between them and small quantity.
4) Draw the second row a little more closely to each other. Lines in it are closer to each other, than in the first case therefore value of tone is more dark.
5) Draw the third option where lines will be closer to each other, than in the previous cases. Lines thus to become it is much bigger, and tone is more dark.
6) Draw the fourth option where lines are even closer, than in the previous options, they almost adjoin to each other, but paper is still visible.
7) Look at the picture, different types of shading, for example, curved and direct, both long and short are shown here. Try to draw these options in the album.
Creation of a scale.
In this section you learn how it is possible to achieve the full range of shadows to vary density of lines and pressure, thus using pencils of various softness.
8) Let's start practicing and we will look at distinctions between pencils. 2H very light (firm), and 2B quite dark (soft). In the following exercises you will use three different pencils to create different shades. 2B it is better to use a pencil for creation of dark shades, NV perfectly is ideally suited for averages and 2H is suitable for creation of light tones.
9) We take a pencil 2H and we draw the first three options, shading light turns out. We take a pencil of NV and we draw the following two options, we take 2B and we draw the following the remained two options.
Draw these options of drawing strokes when make, try in the return the direction from dark to the light.
We drew lines closely to each other, thus clearly saw strokes, now your task will consist in drawing so closely to create smoothness illusion, dark tone (without mixing). In the following items your purpose is to make seven different options of smooth shading, drawing lines it is close to each other.
10) Take pencils 2H and HB, execute three light options, as on the picture below.
11) Use 2B, 4B and 6B pencils to draw four dark tones.
12) Draw a scale from ten various options from light to the dark.
13) Draw the same one more scale from ten various tones, only from dark to the light.
Author: Brenda Hoddinot, site (source)